Bates Elementary Information Session – February 16, 2022
A message from Principal Gavin Softic
AT A GLANCE
The School House System
- Builds a sense of community, inclusivity, responsibility, belonging and spirit in our school with all our students, staff and community partners.
- Develops authentic relationship between students and staff.
- Houses participate in monthly school-wide SEL activities.
- Encourages participation in academics, character building and promotes leadership development
- Promotes healthy competition and sportsmanship
- Integration of arts into classroom instruction
- Music, art, dance and PE courses for all students
- Peabody Essex Museum Partnership
- Chorus (Grs. 2-5), Paperworks (Gr. 5), student selected electives (Grs. 4&5), weekly instrumental lessons (Grs. 4&5), student-run live streaming morning news on YouTube
LIFE AT BATES
- Social Emotional Learning Curriculum scheduled and embedded into daily lessons.
- Integrated Balanced Literacy Approach (Readers’ and Writers’ Workshop) to provide students with authentic reading and writing experiences
- Student-centered -hands-on activities to allow students to see and apply math ideas
- Concept-based lessons build deep understanding rather than memorization
- Content Specific Academic Coaches to support and implement best practices.
- Title I Reading Specialists to support readers to meet their full potential.
- Six-week Literacy Festival aimed at building a love for reading by engaging students in dynamic themed activities and lessons.
- School Wide House System to develop character and represent school core values.
- 21st Century After-school enrichment programs in partnership with the YMCA.
- Monthly Town Halls focused on Social Emotional Learning
- Active and Inclusive PTO and School Site Council
- Weekly family newsletters inform families of updates and key information
- Math/science and literacy nights designed to partner with families around academic instruction
- Partnerships between families and teachers through consistent two-way communication.